Estate planning is an essential exercise at any age, not only to craft your legacy but to make sure 

your children are properly cared for, and that your own health care and financial affairs are 

properly provided for in the event you become physically or mentally incapacitated, even 

temporarily.  At the Law Offices of Stephen R. Paul, we help individuals and families draft or revise 

estate plans that meet their needs now and into the future, from simple wills and trusts to powers 

of attorney and healthcare directives. 


Wills and Trusts

With a will, individuals are able to dispose of their property according to their wishes, leaving a 

lasting legacy to future generations.  The will is also an appropriate document to name an 

executor or administrator of the estate, and to appoint a guardian for any minor children.  Even if 

you are handling your property through trusts, a will is still essential to make certain all the 

property of your estate is distributed in accordance with your wishes.

In addition to drafting valid and enforceable wills, we assist in the creation of a variety of trusts, 

from revocable living trusts to instruments designed for other purposes.  Through a trust, you can 

pass along property in a confidential manner and without going through the time and expense of 

probate.  We can advise you on the right combination of wills, trusts, and other available 

instruments to best meet your needs.


Healthcare Directives and Powers of Attorney

An estate plan is incomplete if it does not address the important issue of your incapacity.  

Through advance medical directives such as living wills, durable powers of attorney and other 

related documents, you can make sure that your health care and financial decisions will be made 

with your desires by someone you trust in the event you become unable to make these decisions 

for yourself.



Careful planning can sometimes prevent the need for court proceedings in order to have a 

guardianship imposed on an adult who has become incapacitated due to an accident, illness, or 

age and can no longer look after one’s own personal care or financial affairs.  When a 

guardianship is appropriate, we assist family members in the process of obtaining an 

appointment and helping to make sure their loved one receives the proper care and attention. 

These legal documents are tailored to meet your needs to achieve your planning goals:


Durable Power of Attorney

You can designate a trusted person to handle your financial affairs if you are unable to make 

decisions due to a temporary or permanent incapacity.  The document provides detailed 

instructions about the agent’s authority.


Designation of Healthcare Surrogate

You can designate a trusted person to make medical and residential decisions for you in the event 

you cannot communicate or are incapacitated.  You also designate a successor medical agent.


Last Will & Testament

This document identifies who will inherit an individual’s assets (the beneficiaries) and who will 

be responsible for distributing them to the beneficiaries (the personal representative/executor).  

For young parents and couples, a Will can also be used to appoint a trustee to manage a child’s 

money until he/she is old enough to handle it themselves.


Living Will

A living will declares your wishes concerning the provision, withholding, or withdrawal of life-

prolonging procedures if you are diagnosed with a terminal condition where there is no medical 

probability of recovery or cure.



A competent adult can appoint a PreNeed guardian for oneself or your minor child in the event 

the adult becomes incapacitated or dies.  The guardian can make medical and financial decisions 

for the incapacitated adult or minor child.


Revocable Trust (Living Trust)

This estate planning tool is used when appropriate for the management of your assets and 

investments during your incapacity as well as to avoid the probate process.


Planning for Individuals & Families with Special Needs

This can be created within your Will or Trust to hold an inheritance so that a child or adult with 

special needs does not lose their government benefits.